Santana at Woodstock: Carlos Santana, Jose Areas and Mike Carabello (from left to right)
|Performed on||Day 2|
|Started at||2.00 pm, Saturday, 16th|
|Played for||45 min.|
|Festival Day Chronology|
|Prev. artist||Country Joe McDonald at 1.00 pm|
|Next artist||John B. Sebastian at 3.30 pm|
Santana brought the Latin Rock Fusion to Woodstock. They started at 2:00 pm on Saturday, the 16th. Relatively unknown for the audience, Santana hit the nerve of the party crowd quite well.
- Carlos Santana - guitar, vocals, maracas, cowbell
- Gregg Rolie - vocals, keyboards, maracas, tambourine, jingle bells
- Jose "Chepito" Areas - percussion, trumpet
- Mike Carabello - timbales, congas, percussion
- Michael Shrieve - drums
- David Brown - bass
- Evil Ways
- You Just Don't Care
- Soul Sacrifice
- Fried Neckbones And Some Home Fries
Their debut album Santana was released in the same month. The band had just played local gigs in the San Francisco area so they were relatively unknown. Their set was powerful and magical at the same time. Santana used to have a massive percussion section at that time and drummer Michael Shrieve added his personal note, especially during the drum solo of "Soul Sacrifice".
Carlos Santana claimed he was tripping on LSD throughout most of the performance and was hallucinating that his guitar was a snake; nevertheless, he performed flawlessly.
Legendary concert promoter Bill Graham was currently their manager. He brought Santana to Woodstock and can be seen in the movie, too. A picture of him playing cowbell with the group at the festival can be found below.
The re-issue of Santana's debut album as Sony's Legacy Edition has the almost complete performance in superb quality. Santana (The Woodstock Experience) additionally contains the missing song "Evil Ways" which completes the band's entire Woodstock performance. Its video was finally found in bonus materials in Woodstock - 40th Anniversary version.
- 1970: Woodstock I
- 1994: Woodstock - Three Days of Peace and Music
- 1994: Best of Woodstock
- 2004: Santana (Legacy Edition)
- 2009: Santana (The Woodstock Experience)
- 2009: Woodstock: 40 Years On: Back to Yasgur's Farm
- 1970: Woodstock
- 1994: Woodstock Diaries
- 2009: Woodstock - 40th Anniversary version (bonus materials)